Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Book Review: CLOCKWORK PRINCE by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices #2)
Author: Cassandra Clare
Publication Date: December 6th 2011
Publisher: McElderry Books
Genre: Young Adult, Urban Fantasy

Summary on Goodreads:

In the magical underworld of Victorian London, Tessa Gray has at last found safety with the Shadowhunters. But that safety proves fleeting when rogue forces in the Clave plot to see her protector, Charlotte, replaced as head of the Institute. If Charlotte loses her position, Tessa will be out on the street and easy prey for the mysterious Magister, who wants to use Tessa's powers for his own dark ends.

With the help of the handsome, self-destructive Will and the fiercely devoted Jem, Tessa discovers that the Magister's war on the Shadowhunters is deeply personal. He blames them for a long-ago tragedy that shattered his life. To unravel the secrets of the past, the trio journeys from mist-shrouded Yorkshire to a manor house that holds untold horrors, from the slums of London to an enchanted ballroom where Tessa discovers that the truth of her parentage is more sinister than she had imagined. When they encounter a clockwork demon bearing a warning for Will, they realize that the Magister himself knows their every move and that one of their own has betrayed them.

Tessa finds her heart drawn more and more to Jem, though her longing for Will, despite his dark moods, continues to unsettle her. But something is changing in Will; the wall he has built around himself is crumbling. Could finding the Magister free Will from his secrets and give Tessa the answers about who she is and what she was born to do?

As their dangerous search for the Magister and the truth leads the friends into peril, Tessa learns that when love and lies are mixed, they can corrupt even the purest heart. Add to TBR.

My Thoughts: 

I didn't plan to write a review about this book because I know that it would be very difficult to write one. I know for sure that I won't be able to write the perfect words to describe it. I love love love Cassandra Clare's The Mortal Instruments Series and Clockwork Angel but this is my first attempt to review her book. 

In this second book of the Infernal Devices, Tessa, along with the shadowhunters are determined to find the Magister in order to save Charlotte's position as the head of the London Institute. Tessa will do anything to help her friends whom she considers now as her family, and to find the Magister in order to know the truth about her identity. In the process, some secrets are revealed and finding the Magister means risking their lives and the people they love. On the other hand, Will is willing to do everything to free himself of the demon's curse that he carries for over five years...

Clockwork Prince has the same dose of action, suspense, mystery and romance and even humor that I've found in Clockwork Angel, though I can't say that I loved it more than the first book. Still, Clockwork Prince did not disappoint. 

One of the many things I loved about this book--humor. And Will is the master of all.
"Reparations," said Jem very suddenly, setting down the pen he was holding.
Will looked at him in puzzlement. "Is this a game? We just blurt out whatever word comes next to mind? In that case mine's 'genuphobia.' It means an unreasonable fear of knees."
"What's the word for a perfectly reasonable fear of annoying idiots?" inquired Jessamine.


"Meet me in the courtyard in half an hour, then," said Will. "I'll wake Cyril. And be prepared to swoon at my finery." - Will

"Well, I suppose it's hard to meddle in someone's brains if they've got no brains to start with." -Will
And then there's sweetness and yumminess... 
"And," he went on without answering her question, " in the event that something goes awry, I will be there. Even if you don't see me, Tess, I'll be there. Remember that." -Will

"Shall we go, then? Or would you rather stay here and take your chances? You can start up with the kissing where you left off when you get back to the Institute." - Magnus t
And then the turmoil...
"I feel myself diminished, parts of me spiraling away into the darkness, that which is good and honest and true- If you hold it away from yourself long enough, do you lose it entirely? If no one cares for you at all, do you even really exist?" - Will

If Jem died, she could not help feel, he would take all that was still human about Will with him when he went. - Charlotte
I can't help but love Cassie's books and the amazing characters that she created. All of them are remarkable, no matter how bad or good they appear. I love the ever so gentle and ever so kind James Carstairs. His love for Tessa is exactly the same as how Sophie describes him--the steady flame. More than anyone else, I love William Herondale, the most alive of all the people Magnus said he'd met on his lifetime, the brightest star, too beautiful to be human. Of all the characters, Will is the most broken one and has the most tortured soul. My heart breaks for him. This book finally let us see Will beyond the image he was trying to project and the revelations are heart pounding and electrifying. I wonder why the Herondale boys are always the one who suffer much. They deserve to be happy.
"...Master Will has always been the brighter burning star, the one to catch attention-- but Jem is a steady flame, unwavering and honest..." - Sophie

"...There is a soul under all that bravado. And he is really alive, one of the most alive people I have ever met. When he feels something, it is as bright and sharp as lightning." - Magnus
Another character that I love is Magnus Bane. If you've met and loved him in Mortal Instruments series, you'll gonna love him in Infernal Devices, too! This warlock has so much more in his character and that will make you love him even more!

The rest of the characters are back and there are exciting twists and secrets that you'll be thrilled to find out. It's one of the things I love about Cassie's writing, she never fail to surprise her readers. She'll never make you feel settled or relieved. You might get mad and hurt when a character you love suffered too much, but she'll write it anyway and it's always worth it in the end. And with the head-banging, heart-thumping, cliff-hanger ending, you'll be amazed and tortured at the same time. That's what makes Cassie a remarkable writer. She knows how to emotionally tortured her readers while leaving them anticipating and hungry for more. If you haven't tried reading one of her stories, YOU SHOULD TRY READING THEM NOW and be prepared for the ultimate emotional ride! Her books are amazing! 

Clockwork Prince is a must read. I highly recommend it. It's heart wrenching and brain-damaging! Err, okay, I might be exaggerating, but seriously, this book will give you too much heartache just by reading about all the turmoil which the characters endured. But ironically, it was half the fun and you'll end up wanting for more.

My Rating:

3 comments:

  1. Finally!!
    I agree you! It was a super-good book, but not better than CA.
    I loved Magnus, too. And the funny parts with Will. Though I think it needs a little more of action.
    Anyway, I loved it, but not my fave!
    Happy reading!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you enjoyed Clockwork Prince. Now I just want the last book. Cassie writes beautifully and she makes you care for her characters...for better or worse. And Magnus will go down in history as one of my favorite ALL TIME Characters! I love everything about him.

    Great Review~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi April!

    Okay, so I skimmed... because I've yet to start reading Infernal Devices and wanted to avoid too many spoilers but... Those quotes! It's beautiful - and you know, you did find the right words, from what I did read. I can tell how much you enjoyed this book, how much it means to you!

    That means that *I* will start reading City of Bones tonight. Must get to it!

    Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments! I may not be able to reply to every post but I read them all. Thank you so much for your visit! Come back soon =)